Saturday, May 11, 2013

Adaptation

Today I celebrate my one month anniversary in Uganda. Actually I was hit by a sort of culture shock in the beginning but now I am starting to settle in. Compared to my previous long stays abroad, it is definitely most different here. Much more effort is demanded to understand the culture and figure out how things function. But this is exactly what I have looked for - to take a step further by picking a third world country offering new challenges!

My previous stays abroad were all well established; study exchanges, internships and agreed jobs. This is the first time I am abroad without a set plan. As intended, I have now started off with HCF and as I keep seeing around and meeting people I will certainly face also other opportunities. Being a future oriented, well organized person I have felt a bit anxious not knowing what I will be doing during the following months. I still do not have exact plans but I am proceeding in my search for new appealing volunteer programs and accommodation options. A few recent incidents have proven that I indeed must have patience and trust in destiny, as things tend to work themselves out. My biggest single concern - finding travel companion for a 3-weekUganda/Kenya/Tanzania tour - was solved in a great way, despite last minute drama and changes.

I have at some level adapted to African time perception. Here nothing generally happens at its announced time. Even though a person is up to two hours late it is not customary to call and explain. Naturally, it is not always his/her own fault but tardiness may be accumulated by other delays. I am learning to kick back and make something useful of my waiting time, like climbing a tree (pic1).

I have also gotten accustomed to living with a host family, which is perhaps the best way to gain insight cultural knowledge. My pros list include cleaning service, readily prepared local meals, guaranteed security and cheerful company. My only major con is reduced independence, namely in transportation times between home and school, as well as eating hours. Our house amenities are basic but functioning. I see no extra effort in carrying bathing water inside from a backyard water tank (pics2&3) or reading with my headlamp when power is off. I have actually discovered that hand washing clothes is quite a pleasant chore (and good finger muscle training; pic4).

Last but not least, I have not watched any movies or telly shows here! My host family has only Ugandan tv channels broadcasting unintentionally comedic soap operas spoken in a mix of English and Luganda. Instead I read quite a lot. (So please suggest me any good books!)








No comments:

Post a Comment