Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Kampala

There are seven hills in Kampala. One Sunday me and my friend hiked up and down all of them, which made a good tour around the city (pics 1&2). During those four hours and 25 kilometers we got both bright sunshine and pouring rain, and walked through dirty slums, chaotic traffic jams, festive church meetings, busy shopping areas and wealthy neighborhoods. Despite being in the city we faced the challenge of crossing a floating river (pic3). Local athletic boys tried to encourage us to jump over it by showing their example, but we decided to pass mainly because the water was extremely filthy (pic4).

For almost a third of the walk we were followed by a persistent little girl. When we questioned her about finding her way back home, she answered she has nowhere to go. We debated whether or not it would be right to give her money. On one hand she would get fed at least one day, but on the other hand she would learn to follow mzungus long ways in hope for treats. In addition, some kids who do have parents try to get money by pretending to be orphan, either because they do not have anything else to do or they are told to do so. Either way, these kids would indeed need help to leave poverty.

Since several people had recommended me to explore Owino Markets for second hand stuff, one afternoon I headed to that large area of roofed little stalls (pics 5&6). Being the only mzungu there I got enthusiastic offers to buy everything from everyone. Indeed I could have bought just anything: clothes, shoes, books, food, kitchen appliances, electronics... Vendors get their stock at minimal cost from different sources of Western countries, and sell it further at very cheap prices. I could have bought an used Luis Vuiton handbag for less than 10€. The markets were simultaneously exhausting and exciting, and I was pleased to see such efficient rotating of used stuff.

It is natural to get most attached to your own neighborhood. After my house sitting job ended I moved just a few kilometers further to another house, which I share with four lovely flatmates. When I need to relax, I go to my favorite pool overlooking our hoods and Lake Victoria (pic7). Visiting friends living in other areas of Kampala is a good opportunity to see around. One evening I got to enjoy good wine and snacks on a balcony overlooking one of the city's hills (pics8&9).

















No comments:

Post a Comment