Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The plan is no plans

"It's a mystery to me
We have a greed with which we have agreed
You think you have to want more than you need
Until you have it all you won't be free

Society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me

When you want more than you have
You think you need
And when you think more than you want
Your thoughts begin to bleed

I think I need to find a bigger place
'Cause when you have more than you think
You need more space

Society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
Society, crazy indeed
I hope you're not lonely without me

There's those thinking more or less, less is more
But if less is more how're you keeping score?
Means for every point you make your level drops
Kinda like you're starting from the top, you can't do that

Society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
Society, crazy indeed
I hope you're not lonely without me

Society, have mercy on me
I hope you're not angry if I disagree
Society, crazy indeed
I hope you're not lonely without me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBlr0OUfD0

This is a quote of my all-time favorite soundtrack from the movie "Into the Wild". Right now its message is especially current for me. Some months ago I quit my secure, well-paying job in order to go after my "real passion". If I just knew what my passion is... When I returned home after traveling for two months, I did not feel like unpacking anything. Now I feel like it is time to get rid of everything, even my beloved apartment. I feel that I may have the courage to let go of society as I know it, at least for a while.

My society emphasizes possessing things, progressing on careers, engaging in trendy activities and being popularly busy. When people like me are thriving for this "standard happiness", we are over-consuming the world's natural resources and encouraging unfair distribution of wealth between industrialized and developing countries. As individuals, how many of us are questioning whether we are truly doing what makes us happy or if we are just going along with the society's norm of happiness?

My society provides me with accessible health care, free education, functioning infrastructure and a variety of other services. I know that even in cases of illness or unemployment I have its safety net to catch me. Because of my society I have become the privileged person, who is able to travel around the world in search of fortunes. After having benefited so much of its offering, is it right to just take off without barely giving back into it? Would it be my duty to live according to its rules - to keep paying high taxes and consuming?

I am spending lots of time on selling my appliances at maximal revenue, on deciding what to store and on determining what to take with me - to the detail of single items such as wine glasses. I am surprised at being so attached to the little property I have. After having being surrounded by everything I owe, it will be annoying not having a full selection of hiking gear or neat outfits for every occasion.

In my backpack I will have climbing stuff, laptop, bikinis, down jacket... and a one-way ticket to Bangkok. Please do not ask about my specific plans or time schedule. Roughly speaking, I will travel around Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia doing hiking/climbing/sightseeing/job hunting/professional networking/nothing. Even though I will travel mostly alone, I dearly hope I will not be lonely but run into friendly people to do exciting things with.

PS. Right now I am damn happy!! I am also somewhat nervous, unbelieving and excited, but mostly happy!

(My old Uganda blog got an updated look, since I just kept writing on it. Lacking artistic literary skills, I renamed it as "My General Blog" so that it is no longer restricted to any given places or subjects.)
1,5 days before departure
Farewell afterclimbs



No comments:

Post a Comment