Thursday, March 5, 2015

Going outdoors Hong Kong style

Many assume that Hong Kong is just a busy, tightly built city. They miss out on various walking trails, beaches, cliffs and water sports. Those spots offer unique settings, where one can move on peaceful trails overseeing simultaneously lush hills and blocks of skyscrapers.

Sai Kung Country Park
Mount Nicholson
When I was searching for jobs I came across an announcement about Outward Bound looking for candidates to their outdoors instructor training programme. Since a few years ago I had actually considered becoming a wilderness guide, I attended an interview and got accepted to a 3-day-long selection trip. It took place in the nationals parks near their base center; to test participants' hiking, kayaking, swimming and camping skills, as well as teamwork and leadership ability.



I was placed in a team with nine young Hongkongers. My fear of being least fit vanished quickly, as I was constantly waiting for them both on land and water. Even more than being exposed to clean nature and impressive views, I enjoyed learning about the Cantonese culture. Our head trainer, an energetic Malaysian guy, tried to step back as much as possible to observe how the team functions on its own. Two things caught my attention: communality and exactness.


We had to swim to a boat, and then return to a pier to jump down from a 3m high platform. The water was uncomfortably cold, so after completing the task I hurried to take a warm shower. The others unselfishly stayed to wait for the slowest swimmers and to encourage those fearful to jump. They were also keen on carrying lots of common gear, ready to provide assistance in smallest things and willing to wait for everyone to complete one task before starting next ones. To me this appeared as caringly putting the team ahead of individuals, however a bit inefficient at times.

Most of the team had little camping experience but had to be explained how to operate the gear. Once having learnt it, they politely corrected me when I used the trangia lid with its sides facing up or lifted up my backpack without holding it on my knee first. Guidelines prohibited walking without shoes, required hand sanitizer usage before touching any kitchen ware, allowed cooking only on ground level, encouraged people to move in pairs even to use toilets etc. When it was time to pitch tents, our participant leaders started by asking whether it would be ok for everyone if we first picked a few persons to go explore possible tent spots, and then they would present alternatives for everyone to discuss about.



During the whole trip everyone stayed in a cheerful mood. Even when we were by surprise woken up at 4am to hike up a peak to watch sunrise, I heard no negative comments. At at all times people thrived to show their best. It was delighting to see their motivation to become outdoors instructors; they truly want to help others by taking them to nature. My favorite moments were late evenings, when we gathered in a circle to share our thoughts. The otherwise reserved seeming Hongkongers revealed interesting and truthful dreams, motives and insights.


I am glad I joined the selection, even though at the end I decided that becoming an outdoors instructor is not for me. Firstly, I have done similar things as a scouts troop leader so I feel like I need more challenges. Secondly, the job would be too time consuming as instructors stay on the field for weeks and otherwise live at the base center. Thirdly, I prefer enjoy outdoors at my own terms as a hobby rather than as a profession. So after the trip was finished I enjoyingly returned home to be close to comforts. Now I am back sitting on a sofa with my laptop and a cup of coffee, searching for academic jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment