Saturday, April 13, 2013

Math of guilt

After being here for some days I had a sleepless night. I was coming to fully realize the huge life standard difference between me and poor people here.

Last summer I was in the United States and felt like visiting a posh Apple store. I bought an iPad without much considering its price, which was less than a tenth of my monthly salary. One evening here I was sitting in the living room downloading pictures, when my host family mother came to familiarize herself with the iPad she had not seen before. She told that for her, a government school teacher, it would take a year and half to save enough money for an iPad.

We continued the discussion about importance of IT skills in today's work life. In order to perform almost any job, you must know the basics like typing, printing and searching the internet. Most of the Hope children have never used a computer, thus to lack of equipment funds. Before my departure I took two retired (slowed down) laptops to recycling. I wish I had brought the better one with me, as the school cannot afford to buy a similar one. That got me thinking, would it be possible to distribute obsolete but still functioning computers from companies and private people to organizations such as Hope?

In need hierarchy computers are still way above eating. Not all children at the school are served lunch. Boarding Hope children get free lunch, while students commuting from home must pay, taken that their families can afford it. That leaves some children hungry and unable to concentrate during afternoon hours. The daily lunch fee is approximately 0,3 euros. If I donated the amount I spend on one restaurant dinner in Finland I could feed 100 children for a day.

Even though I do pay for getting to do free work, I feel guilty. I have saved money for touring Uganda and its neighboring countries. Safaris and guided hikes in national parks are big investments even for me. If I gave up climbing the Rwenzori mountains I could pay a fourth of what HCF needs to buy land for its own school. But I am selfish and hold onto my money.

My original intention coming here has been to donate mainly my time, to help by sharing my knowledge and skills. Now I do not feel like a happy helper because I am not giving also my money. It does not feel justified that I was born in a welfare country, raised by academic middle class parents, smart enough to get an university degree and hard working to progress in my career. I have traveled almost all continents, pursued the hobbies that most interest me and have free time for socializing, reading and thinking. All my friends back home have that. Is it wrong? Maybe, because there would be thousands of people capable of achieving the same if they were given a similar change, but they are not.

Research shows that the most fruitful motive for being ethical is the joy of giving. Also guilt keeps you going for a while but eventually you get tired of it. I should accept that I cannot help everyone with all I have but do what little I can, feeling satisfied about it. I should appreciate being privileged by my nationality, family background and achievements, enjoying the life standard that brings me. That is easier said than done.

The first two pictures are of preparing and enjoying lunch at the school. The last one is my favorite shot!





No comments:

Post a Comment