Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ugandan English

"Today you give me money". When people spoke to me like that some months ago I considered them a little simple and rude. That was before I had learned to know Ugandan English.

There are around 40 local languages spoken in the regions of Uganda. They are not just varying dialogues but individual languages rooting within different tribes. English is used as the common language at government institutions, schools, businesses and media. Village people in rural areas may know no English at all, but most educated people speak English as their second language.

Ugandan English is not the same as British (or American or Australian) English. Assuming so can lead into factual misunderstandings or thoughts of rudeness. Learning Luganda, the local language spoken in the Kampala region, has been a key for me in understanding Ugandan English.

Especially people having little contact with foreigners tend to translate directly from Luganda to English, missing politeness. For example, they may translate the need "Njagala mazzi" into "I want water" instead of "Could I have some water, please". In Luganda, there is no such word as "please", but respect is shown as adding "sebo" (sir) or "nabo" (miss/mrs) at the end of an otherwise command sounding phrase.

While in British English the word "sorry" is apologetic, in Ugandan English it is used to show sympathy. Once I stepped into a matatu taxi full of passengers and bumped my head onto its roof. I heard a chorus of sorries even though my clumsiness was in no way the others' fault. Also, the usage of "yes" and "no" can be confusing. For instance, when I ask "Do you mind if I sit here?" I may be replied with a welcoming smile and "Yes". 

At times it can be hard to interpret what Ugandans prefer. I may ask a questions such as "Do you need me at the school today or could I go to the swimming pool?" When the answer is just "It is ok", a phrase Ugandans use a lot, it is left somewhat unclear what is actually expected of me.

After giving it a bit of thought, when I hear a simplified request like "Tomatoes. Do you have them?" I feel a sense of familiarity. Actually Ugandan English is not so far away from Finnish English.

Pic1: Matoke cooking in Kampala, Southern Uganda
Pic2: Villagers in Moroto, Northern Uganda



No comments:

Post a Comment