Saturday, October 24, 2020

Right to travel (by plane)

I have flown a lot, both for fun and work. Although I have seen many airports, sometimes spending countless jetlagged hours browsing the always same chain stores, paying enormously much for a coffee and trying to find armrestless benches for sleeping, there is still certain magic to them. I associate flying with freedom and adventure. So many times I have entered an airplane full with excitement, knowing that in only in some hours I will be among new cultures, experiences, landscapes and people. I have done almost all of my traveling by plane.  

Snow chaos in Istanbul

Sadly flying is highly destructive to the environment. The aviation industry produces around 2% of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions and as the global middle class keeps growing, so does the amount of flying and emissions caused by it. However, although budget airlines are making flying increasingly accessible to people around the world, less than 20% of the world's population has ever taken a single flight. It is impossible for me to count how many flights I have taken during my lifetime, but I estimate around 20 return intercontinental flights and 150 shorter flights. This means that with my privileged lifestyle I am one of the top contributors to aviation caused climate change.

Lovely nap at Washington airport

I calculate carbon footprints for work, so I am well aware of my flights' climate damage. Speaking with statistics, the annual greenhouse gas emissions of an average person living in Switzerland is 14 tCO2e, while the global average is 6 tCO2e and the threshold value of the planetary boundary is just 0.6 tCO2e. One return economy flight Zürich - Bangkok (including a stop-over in Moscow, as I always pick the cheapest tickets) causes 3 tCO2e. Looking at 14 tCO2e for living versus 3 tCO2e for one flight, it is a no brainer that my best change to protect the environment is to stop flying.

But traveling, especially to far away places, is such a thrill! By spending time in totally different countries, like Uganda and China, I have learned and experienced so much. I have seen extreme poverty and corruption, people with fascinating customs, incredible natural beauty as well as trashed places, and I have tasted strange delicious foods, taken part in cultural festivities and most importantly gotten to know great people around the world. Had I not traveled so much, would I be a different person now. I am convinced that because of traveling I am more tolerant towards dissimilarity, more resilient against change and stress and more knowledgeable about each place and situation having its pros and cons. To me, this is valuable.

Engagement party in Uganda

However, if everyone traveled like me, flying would no doubt be the one single disastrous cause of climate change. Besides it would not even be possible to fit enough planes into the airspace. Still I feel that for the sake of equality also others should have the opportunity to benefit from the learning and fun of far-away traveling. I must admit that the first times I saw a slum, visited a local market, drove through insane traffic, tasted a suspicious dish or tried to understand someone with no common language, were the most impressive ones. Then I was full of curiosity and wonder. As I kept traveling more, although I fully embraced each experience, I also grew accustomed to what I saw. The so called learning curve was steeper in the beginning.

Warming up in Tibetan

Since as excessive travel as mine is not only unsustainable but also impossible, I would suggest flight quotas per capita. If everyone (with interest and money) would be allowed to take few flights, learning and experiencing would still take place but in a more controlled scale. Of course I know that implementing a flight quota system would be utopia, and anyways there are much more severe inequalities in the world. However, I have decided I have used up my "personal flight quota". I have had amazing times and it is time for me to slow down. One of my main reasons to settle down in Switzerland is its central location. From here I can conveniently visit many interesting places by train and bus.

You may ask, do I stop flying altogether? The honest answer is no, I do not. But before booking a flight I consider whether it really is necessary. I no longer want to do climbing and sightseeing trips by flying. Taking a flight must have a better reason. I could not bear the idea of never again meeting one of my best friends living in Australia, so one day I will fly there. Also visiting my home country Finland (once a year) counts as acceptable. If I ever end up working in international development again, I consider some field trips worth the caused emissions.

Visiting a biogas project in Kenya

So climate protection does not stop me from flying altogether. What would then? If one flight would cost a million (or even some thousands) I would not buy it. Admitting this might make me a hypocrit; I know the exact climate impact of my flights, yet still I am willing to do it when the reason is important enough. However, I think this compromise is better than nothing. Maybe also other heavy flyers could go through a check-list – What is the added benefit of this trip? Could I substitute it with something else? Is it really important to me? – before flying next time. Maybe airport glory can sometimes be re-lived through memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment