Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Safari, once in a lifetime experience...

Wild life greetings from Serkan:

So, now is the time for my 2nd entry in this cool blog. By the time of writing these lines (basically now), I still don't know what am I gonna write about :) But I always like the best plan is no plan approach. I also appreciate the best plan is the one you make to not to follow approach as well. However all the efforts of trying to find a topic for this entry is still in progress, maybe a glass of wine would help in a moment :)

I like cats and I have 2 cats. Finding the similarities between the domestic cats and wild cats were always interesting to me. Those big cats, even though they are really wild, they roll around themselves and play with each other, exactly like my petties, this is impossible to not notice. Maybe one of the reasons that this Africa trip was tempting to me was the opportunity to see the real cats. Today we had first opportunity to see 2 lions, a little far away but it was great (I have some photos which might end up here at some later point of time). When I was in our little van, watching the cats, my breath was taking away; I have seen cats in the zoo but seeing them in their wild environment was an incredible experience for me.

Anyways, we are in a police station, officer is asking if I am Turkish what am I doing in Finland which I reply; I am an expat in Finland. He tells me expats in Kenya are generally from Somalia and they are involving in drug trafficking. We kept calm, honestly Maria did better than me to explain that I was working in Finland, so he seems to be convinced that we are not criminals :)

In Amboseli, we stayed in a very nice tent, bestest that I have ever stayed; showers, electricity, fridge and all. It was simply a luxurious tent, sleeping in the wilderness and listening all the sounds was a good experience on my behalf. We slept quite early to be able to go for early game drive.

Our driver took us to very nice location close to a lot African elephants and even very cute baby elephants. I managed to take a lot photos of elephants, which would eventually end up here at some day. First day after seeing the Zebras, lions and elephants, we were happily heading back to our camp next to Amboseli parks gate.

Maria is calm, she can observe the situation and take wise decisions; I cannot always do that. That's maybe one of the reasons I enjoy traveling with her. I had slight disappointment with the driver of our safari on the day as we supposed to have much longer game drive but all of a sudden he left the national park. I got a little bit mad at him but Maria kept her calm and tried to find a solution even though it was not really possible. As it was my only chance to see to see more cats, I was really upset with the driver and decided to take this case to police. Well, being in a foreign country, having a practical mind I asked him to drop us to airport so we can find a safe place and take the issue to the police. This is probably where the story has started.

That was the morning Tony took us from our hotel. I was a little excited to start my first safari, maybe I can finally see some cats. It's a bit of a long drive to Ambosseli from Nairobi. I am watching from the cars window and thinking about everything possible, mostly about the safari, if we would be really able to see the wild animals?

Policeman is interesting; he took us to the taxi station and ask one of the drivers to drive us safely back to our hotel and call him back from the hotel. Last time I have seen something like that happening was, probably my mother worrying about me, this actually triggered a question: Even the police asks the taxi driver to call him back, is Mombasa really safe?

Remember Orfin, the cool guy from Naivasha willing to share his experiences with us. He was indeed cool, that's how we got to meet to Moses, through whom we got to meet Tony. We were a little desperate for finding a nice safari while trying to save some time also from the road. This is how we decided to start the safari from Nairobi, going to Amboseli and ending in Mombasa.

Finally relaxing in our hotel pool, enjoying few "well deserved" beers after a tiring day. Maybe that was the first time Maria has also agreed that we earned the beers :) We actually made the life of the con-man a little more difficult. Even the outcome was not that of a great success, I hope they understood that not all the tourists are stupid. We actually got to know some policeman, but the guide (in my opinion) bribed them to get this case go through in the way he wanted. Well maybe it was not the wisest decision to keep discussing that long but whatever is done is done and it cannot be undone. I think it was a nice experience for both of us and and opportunity to get to know each other little better...



No comments:

Post a Comment